Friday, November 19, 2004

Configure CUPS, nightmare

Configure printing service is always a nightmare for me in Unix system. There is once I try to configure network printing services on a Solaris 2.8, the printer should output to a windows shared printer, I give up. Sun claim that they are good in networking? In windows, I just share out the printer by right click on the folder will do, everyone on the same network can print through their windows system. Just click on 'Add printer', select network printer, and choose the printer server from the selection will do. Just so easy. I though after CUPS came out, the printer configuration on UNIX system will be a lot easier, yes it is much more easier but not good enough. I add a network printer(share by windows system) on my mandrake 10 using the Mandrake configuration tools. After sometime I change the printer name, so I need to modified the configuration, but unfortunately I was not able to add/modified the printer through Mandraker system console, it always give me Add/Modified printer fail, and I don't know what is the reason behind it! There is no terminal selection through samba, I have to key in the terminal(with printer attached on it) manually. So, I use the browser to connect http://127.0.0.1:631/. Now I am able to add printer, but problem again, I was not able to get the HP LaserJet 1100 driver from here, but I am able to get from Mandrake printer configuration. How could it be different on the same system! Finally I have to manually change the url in /etc/cups/printers.conf. If you set password for your pinter sharing in windows, can try edit /etc/cups/printers.conf, change url to smb://user:password@printer_server/printer_name. I spend almost the hold day settig this up, why can't they just make it easier. No matter how much you dislike about Microsoft Windows, but they really do things right.

No comments: