Monday, May 22, 2006

Ubuntu 5.10 on powerpc

After my Gentoo Linux partition gone, it has been a few months I didn't restore back the Linux operating system on my powerpc notebook. Finally I get it done yesterday night, but I install a Ubuntu Linux this time.

Installation process for Ubuntu Linux is easy, the most tricky part is partition for the hard disk. Since I still keep the old partition unused, I don't have to do anything about it. I have forgotten the detail of the hard disk partition, but something special about Apple (New World) hardware design, they store their firmware data on the hard disk, you have to keep this firmware partition.

My friend told me installing Ubuntu Linux takes about 15 minutes. It takes me more than 15 minutes to do than on my 700Mhz machine, the 1st part installation take about 20 minutes, the 2nd part configuration takes about 30 to 40 minutes. Since Ubuntu 5.10 is a few months old distribution, it prompt me for software update. I have not tried the Ubuntu update yet, is already 3am, I need to take some sleep. Tell you all the Ubuntu Live Update experience next time.

No comments: