Monday, August 15, 2005

remote esound

linuxEsound is the enlightened sound daemon, it has been using in Gnome window desktop, easy to use, I have tried install it on a Solaris machine and it works. Today I just try its remote audio function.

What I am going to do is to run the sound client on Solaris machine and output to window machine, and it works.

1. download the cygwin esound binary from cygwin.com or its mirror
- it need a few extra library to run, just download it from the website as well
- I have some problem with the cygwin1.dll working together with the esound binary. I try to download the cygwin1.dll file from different url, finally get 1 which is working.

2. start up the daemon on windows system
> esd -tcp -public -port 16001

3. use sound client at solaris
$ export ESPEAKER=<windows's ip>:16001
$ esdplay chimes.wav

Da! Da! It works!

4. since esdplay only output wav file, I try mpg123 and mpg321
$ mpg321 -o esd sample.mp3

but no luck, is not working.

5. I try on xmms, the remote esound is working!

The esd is just a few hundred k in size, so is good for remote thin client.

No comments: